How Much Rock Salt or Ice Melt is Do You Need? Contact the Duke Company (Ithaca or Rochester).
The Duke Company is not only known for snow removal/construction equipment rentals, rock salt and ice melt; but, we offer fast delivery and have top rated customer service offering expert advice on a variety of questions. One question we often get is how much rock salt or ice melt is needed. We take into consideration your specific circumstances (e.g., pet, vegetation, asphalt, concrete, weather conditions). We service the state of New York and beyond. Contact the award winning Duke Company at 585-292-9870 (Rochester NY) and 607-347-4455 (Ithaca NY).
Or we can give you a quick quote via our web portal.
When determining the amount of rock salt or deicer needed, we refer to the products specific guidelines, however you can use the following as a rough estimate.
Square Footage of Driveway or Walkway x 3.1 = Total number of pounds of rock salt
(Total number of pounds of rock salt/ice melt) / (50) = Total number of bags of rock salt or ice melt needed
- 3.1 = Recommended lbs. of rock salt/ice melt per square foot
- 50 = 50lb bags (as we carry 50lb bags)
You have a driveway that measures 100′ long by 40′ wide. 100’x40’=4000 sq feet
4000 square feet x 3.1 = 12400 pounds
(12400 pounds)/50 pounds = 248 bags
This conversion is used only a general estimate, and while the Duke Company can give you a more specific measure — the total amount actually needed includes variables that are unpredictable (i.e., weather conditions, amount of snow).
Also, this conversion is only based off of the fact that the snow on top of the ice has already been shoveled.
Examples of Deicers we carry include:
- Quick acting in melting ice upon applying.
- Extensive long lasting time-frame.
- Capably melts snow and ice to negative 24 degrees Fahrenheit (negative 31 degrees Celsius).
- Extreme visibility with helpful blue color indicator.
- Safer on landscaping, vegetation and concrete surfaces vs. many other Ice Melters.
Download Helpful Information on Stop Ice Melt
We offer American Rock Salt in wholesale/bulk, bag or pallet
- Comprised of 100% natural Sodium Chloride (NaCL).
- Also known as Halite and Road Salt, is part of the inorganic salt chemical family.
- Crystalline solid is white and off-white, and has no odor.
- Safety note: American Rock Salt complies with the Toxic Substance Control Act.
- Use common sense when handling Rock Salt & Road Salt by wearing eye
protection, breathing protection and avoid contact with your skin.
- While naturally occurring, Rock Salt should NOT be ingested.
- To avoid caking, store Rock Salt in a dry area with less than 75% humidity.
- 100% mined in the USA at the American Rock Salt mine located in Hampton Corners, south of Rochester New York.
Download Helpful Product Information:
Since 2004, the Duke Company has proudly been serving Ice Control professionals throughout New York State with exceptional pricing, outstanding ice melter products, prompt delivery and outstanding customer service.
The Duke Company ships nationwide and throughout New York including:
Call the Duke Company at 585-292-9870 (Rochester NY) and 607-347-4455 (Ithaca NY) for all your snow and ice removal needs and information.
Sign-up for the Duke Company’s Rock Salt & Deicer Alerts
Text ‘DUKESALT’ to ’55469’ to receive text messages regarding our hours, extended hours, schedule changes and discount opportunities.
Industries we serve:
Concrete / Redi Mix
Grocery Retail / Wholesale
|Hardware / Home Centers
Hospitals / Nursing Homes
Lawn & Garden Centers
|Parking Lot Maintenance
Schools / Universities
Transportation / Airports